Having my cake and eating it (all)

Leave a Comment

Recently I've been rediscovering my love for baking, so yesterday I decided to try and re-create an amazing orange cake that I had before Christmas at The Fine Cheese Company in Bath (best lattes you can find outside London, by the way). I love loaf cakes because 1) they're simpler to make, so you can get on with eating it quicker and 2) you can easily have a slice or three with your cuppa and it all stays neat and tidy.

One of my favourite baking cookbooks is, of course, the timeless 'How To Be A Domestic Goddess' by Nigella Lawson - I'm hoping that if I continue to use this throughout my gap year I could end up a domestic goddess, in an ideal world looking like Candice Swanepoel too, despite the tonnes of cake I'm going to make and subsequently gorge on. To make the cake I adapted one of Nigella's recipe's for lemon cake and to my surprise it turned out really well - so I thought I'd share the recipe. Don't be scared, as I was, by the orange and lime - it merely cancels out the over-sweetness one might anticipate the cake to have, whilst making the cake lovely and moist (I hate that word).



Orange and Lime cake

Ingredients
125g unsalted butter
155g caster sugar
2 medium size eggs
175g self-raising flour
4 tbsp milk
pinch of salt
zest of 1.5 limes
zest of 1.5 oranges
for the syrup
juice of 1 orange & 1 lime
100g icing sugar

You will need to have preheated your oven to 180c (gas mark 4).

Method:
1. Cream together the butter and sugar, then add & beat in the eggs and zest.
2. Fold in the flour and salt, then add the milk. Spoon the mixture into a lined loaf tin and put in the oven for 45 minutes, or until risen, golden brown and your cake tester comes out clean.
3. To make the syrup, gently heat the juices and icing sugar until the sugar is dissolved.
4. As soon as the cake is out the oven, puncture the cake all over (seriously, take any anger you have out on it) and then pour your syrup over the cake. Leave to cool and then cut and ENJOY!



Liv x

SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

PROFESSIONAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig